We hope that our precious data held as 0 and 1s can just be recovered somehow. Another similar situation is that systems recovered from cyber criminal may be damaged badly but even little data recovered from them can be helpful in pinning down the criminal with the act of crime.
Due to the sophisticated nature of digital forensics several tools are available to enable the investigations. For example: Forensic Tool Kit by Access data, EnCase by Guidance Software, ProDiscover, Scalpel, Sleuth Kit to name a few. But the highlight of this article is the Open Source SANS Investigative Forensic Toolkit (SIFT) which can be freely downloaded at http://computer-forensics2.sans.org/community/siftkit/
- Set-Up of hardware, software and other accessories
- Implementation of hardware assembly, software installation and configuration
- Development of policies and procedures and related knowledge transfer
- Training in the use of hardware and software
- Technical support and development of tools
Considering the proliferations cyber crimes and the importance of digital lifestyle prevailing, it is very important for law enforcement agencies to gain expertise in digital forensics. At commercial level, such setups could offer sophisticated data-recovery services.